There’s the time that a guest room was emptied of furniture and blanketed with canvas so cowboy minstrel Gene Autry’s beloved horse, Champion, could stay with him in the hotel. Legendary pool shark Minnesota Fats lived there for eight years; the management sprang for a $3,200 Steepleton billiards table so he’d have somewhere to play. In the early 20th century, the hotel served as a staging ground for the women’s suffrage movement; it’s hosted presidents, governors, and countless entertainers over the years. —OldHouseOnline.com
Nashville’s Historic 5-Star Hermitage Hotel
Nashville’s iconic Hermitage Hotel is the only Forbes Five-Star, AAA Five Diamond rated hotel in the state of Tennessee and five surrounding states.
The Hermitage Hotel has been consistently ranked on the “World’s Best” and “Top U.S. Hotels” lists of the nation’s top travel publications. Current honors include:
- Forbes Five-Star rating, 2016
- AAA Five Diamond rating, 2016
- Preferred Hotels & Resorts: Legend Collection
- Historic Hotels of America
- “Top 50 Hotels in the United States” -U.S. News and World Report
- “Top 500 Hotels in the World” -Travel + Liesure
- Listing on the United States National Register of Historic Places
Additionally, The Hermitage Hotel’s original 1920’s Art Deco men’s room has frequently been voted as America’s Best Restroom.